Assistive Technology - Access to Literacy (Acadia University - EDUC 5163)

This blog is a collection of thoughts, assumptions and resources about Assistive Technolgy with a focus on literacy skills. Also included are ideas of how I will transfer my new found AT knowledge to my classroom. I hope you leave this blog having learned something new!


Sunday 15 July 2012

Homework - Math Webinar

YAY FOR WEBINARS!!
Learning while relaxing on the couch!
I was VERY excited to watch the math webinar tonight! Mandy and I both teach junior high math, so we were pumped to learn about new and exciting tools to bring to our classrooms! We decided to watch this webinar together so we could discuss the apps afterwards! I always find is difficult to locate engaging online math resources for my grade 9 math classroom.
I was quite disappointed tonight after watching the webinar because there were only a few of the apps that I would actually use. Many of them used very basic concepts that I wouldn't teach in my class. Also, many of my students would be reluctant to use these apps because the look very elementary. I have located math games simliar visually to these apps on the internet before, and they don't hold my students interest. I was looking forward to exploring apps that included algebra, graphing and work with equations, but unfortunately there weren't any in this webinar. Also, because the audio was delayed on the webinar, I had a hard time following along with the apps that were showcased.
Of the apps that were shown, here are the ones that I felt I would consider using in my classroom:

This is a screen shot of Pizza Fractions 2
Pizza Fractions 1, 2 and 3 - These apps were useful, and were more complex than most of the other apps shown. Pizza Fractions 1 would show a pizza, and you had to identify the fraction that matched it. I appreciated the visuals, as that is a large part of the battle when teaching kids about representations of fractions. Pizza Fractions 2 would show a pizza with a fraction, and the student would have to choose a fraction that was equivalent. It also gave visual representation which is useful for so many students. There is also the option to show a hint. Pizza Fractions 3 increased complexity again by asking students to compare and order fractions using a <, > or = sign. This is an outcome in grade 7, 8 and 9, so it could be used throughout junior high.


This is a screen shot of the
number line option!
Motion Math - This app would be useful with fractions as well. You have to move the IPad and bounce a ball on the point on a number line where you thought the fraction would go. I am not sure if this app also has a decimal option, nor do I know if you could increase the size of the number line. I like that the students would have to pick up the IPad to physically move the ball - it could be quite engaging.



Screen shot
Money Count Canadian - I loved this app! This app would be very useful in a Learning Center when children are learning about life skills. Also, many of my students in the past who were on IPP's usually had a money component in their IPP. This is a great way to sharpen their money skills, and a bonus is that it is Canadian money! The part of the app that was shown to us in the webinar showed you a pile of money, and you were asked to count it. You were only given 10 seconds, which could be a bit fast for some students, and I am not sure if you could slow that down. After you were shown the money, it switched to another screen and you had to write down the amount. You also had to put in the decimal place, which emphasizes place value.


This is a screen shot of
 the adding option 

Math Tappers - This is another app that I would use in my classroom. There are a series of options with this app, including operations. I think my students would like this app because of the timed activities and accuracy results. This is a great tool for mental math and to use as anchor activities if students finish their work early.

Though I wouldn't use many of the apps shown in this webinar in my grade 9 classroom, after speaking with elementary teachers in my class, I learned that many of the math apps would be very useful in that setting. Also, as a learning center teacher, these apps would be very useful to practice those basic skills. While watching the webinar, I was only thinking of how to use it in my grade 9 classroom, without thinking of myself as person who will someday work in a learning center or resource room! I was sitting inside my grade 9 box again. Now that I consider other grade levels, I can see much more value in this webinar!
Many of the other apps had to do with counting, spacial awareness and patterns.  I would definately share the information that I learned with my friends who teach elementary school. Also, being a new mother, I can see myself using these apps with my son, Gavin, before he goes to school! I would also share these apps with my friends who are moms! :)





2 comments:

  1. I want to check out the counting one! I was looking for math apps for counting for one of my LC students during the school year and everything was american! I guess I wasn't looking hard enough! Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the great Math App info Lacey. In primary, we try to anchor number sense in math to the 10 frame. Math Tappers has potential if we were ever to get an iPad or 25!

    ReplyDelete