Assistive Technology - Access to Literacy (Acadia University - EDUC 5163)

This blog is a collection of thoughts, assumptions and resources about Assistive Technolgy with a focus on literacy skills. Also included are ideas of how I will transfer my new found AT knowledge to my classroom. I hope you leave this blog having learned something new!


Thursday 12 July 2012

Day 7 - Frustration!

So, I thought I was on top of this Reading Task Analysis project, but I ran into a couple of snags when connecting the Reading Process to the apps that I had found. I find distinguishing between executive functions, context processors, meaning processors, reading remediation, etc. is very confusing. I have never received training in these areas, and even after teaching junior high math and science for 5 years, still didn't learn about these complex processes. I had to research each of these functions before being able to navigate my concept map. (That is still not finished, by the way! I will upload it when it's done!) When I was looking over the concept map that I had created, I realized that almost all of the executive functions are required for each of the processing skills. Also, many of the sensory processors need to be engaged for many parts of the reading process, so I found a lot of overlap. It was frustrating because I didn't know exactly where each function fit into the Reading Process! Below is a summary of what Stephanie and I came up with:

Apps for Reading Task Analysis Chart


Another point of frustration for me was trying to embed the chart above into this blog. Since Blogger does not allow you to upload documents, we had to use an outside upload tool to get this chart on our blogs. Thankfully, we have an extremely tech savvy classmate that was willing to help us! Thanks Wade! :) So, check out the above chart that shows 10 apps that Stephanie and I found that will assist students with various areas of the Reading Process!

2 comments:

  1. We were definitely frustrated! Thanks to Wade for teaching us about Scribed. Lacey had to work hard to help me understand some of the terms from the reading analysis chart. Tonight I'm going to come up with a task analysis chart about patience...and dedicate it to Lacey! Though it was frustrating we definitely learned a lot, and the next time we have to complete a task similar to this it will be a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to help! I discovered Scribd myself during this class. I agree, Lacey, that this process has been frustrating, since we don't seem to have the background knowledge. On the positive side, I'm finding it interesting learning it now as I think it provides some insight into what our students are going through when they struggle with reading tasks.

    ReplyDelete